Wednesday, May 18, 2016
Web Secret 415: Social Media Facts version 2016
These posts have a sameness to them: "Look, billions of people are using Facebook!"
It gets boring after a while, so it was refreshing to see a more thoughtful approach. Thank you Joel Lee, for 12 Social Media Facts and Statistics You Should Know in 2016
You know the drill - here is my condensed version of that article.
1. Over 75% of all Internet users use social media. These kinds of sites are now the bread and butter of modern Web activity.
2. For younger users, Instagram is more important than Facebook and Twitter. The younger generation considers Facebook and Twitter "old school".
3. LinkedIn is the most important social network for professionals. Period.
4. Most social networks are evenly split between males and females… except Pinterest.
5. For the 18-49 age group, YouTube has greater reach than any cable network. Read that again. Process.
6. YouTube is massive, but Facebook is still bigger. "Look, billions of people are using Facebook!" Can't escape Facebook.
7. The largest online dating site is actually a social network: Badoo. And I have never heard of it. Then again, I'm not in the dating business.
8. Reddit is the best social network for large-scale communities. Reddit looks like a website from the 1990s. I don't get Reddit.
9. Social media encourages the development of more extreme viewpoints. It’s called the echo chamber effect and it arises when social media users are allowed to “follow” things that they already believe and “block” anything that might dissent from those beliefs.
10. Teens need to be made more aware of privacy and security issues. Only 9% of teenaged social media users even have concerns about the privacy of their data.
11. One wrong social media post can ruin your life for good. Read that again. Process.
12. Revenge porn and accidental leaks are growing threats. See number 11.
PS: Do not use Facebook for professional purposes.
Posted by iWebU at 11:00 AM
Labels: social media facts
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment